fbpx
Connect with us

Luxury Cars

Luxury Automakers to Resume Production After COVID-19 Closures

Published

on

Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, Rolls-Royce, and other luxury automakers have announced they will resume production at their factories from 4 May onwards following the COVID-19 closures put in place for employee safety.
Lamborghini factory restarting after covid-19 closures
Production of the Lamborghini Urus scheduled to resume. Credit: Lamborghini

Having been shuttered since early March to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, luxury automakers including Lamborghini, Ferrari, Rolls-Royce, and Bentley are now returning to their factories to resume production.

Below is an outline of the details around each manufacturers re-openings:

Bugatti – 4 May 2020

In Molsheim, France, Bugatti are back on track to re-start production of hypercars like the Chiron and Divo from 4 May following suspension of all factory activities amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.

Having taken guidance from the French government and international experts, production at the main factory in Alsace will be under strict conditions, and employees that are able to work from home are still encouraged to do so.

In the press release President of Bugatti, Stephan Winklemann explained,  “We will do everything necessary to ensure that our employees are able to work safely. Wherever possible, they can still work from home to ensure that the minimum possible number of employees are on-site at any one time. With the help of the safety measures that we have put in place, we are finally making cars by hand again. That’s an important sign for all of our employees and our customers.”

Bugatti employees working at the factory are encouraged to self test their temperature each morning prior to starting work to ensure they are healthy and symptom-free and will receive their own protective face which must be worn at all times.

Production staff are also required to thoroughly clean tools before and after use and where possible, deliveries will be made without contact.

“I am confident that we have implemented the right measures to allow us to resume production in stages, while also providing the maximum possible protection for our employees,” says Stephan Winkelmann.

Bugatti to restart factory production after covid-19 closures
Bugatti staff will begin production on the Chiron and Divo models once again. Credit: Bugatti

Ferrari – 4 May 2020 (full production 8 May 2020)

Like other luxury automakers, Ferrari has announced they will return to the production facilities on 4 May and resume full production by Friday 8 May.

As part of Ferrari’s “Back on Track” program launched early April, the Italian luxury automaker had already moved into the “Installation Lap” phase at the end of April and begun safety training sessions with employees to ensure a safe working environment upon the return to the factories, helping to minimize the spread of COVID-19.

At both the facilities in Maranello and Modena, Ferrari has said they will be providing checks at the entrances of workstations, providing PPE (personal protective equipment) for employees, and also offering voluntary serological tests to workers before going to back to work.

Meanwhile all business activities that can be carried out through remote working will continue as usual in this way.

Koenigsegg

No official statement yet

Lamborghini – 4 May 2020

In a press release from Lamborghini, the Italian company announced they would be resuming car production activities at their Sant’Agata Bolognese location from the 4 May following their closure due to COVID-19 (although certain departments remained open to help manufacture respirators and masks for a local hospital).

Speaking on their current circumstances, Stefano Domenicali, Chairman and CEO of Automobili Lamborghini, said: ”We are ready to restart with great energy, but also with strict protocols for safeguarding what is most precious to us: the safety of our people. This priority is why we were the first Italian automotive company to close and continues to be our guiding principle for a well-reasoned and safe recovery, because we still have not won the battle against COVID-19. We will constantly monitor the contagion’s evolution and be ready to adjust our protocols in accordance with the guidelines provided by the Italian government and the Emilia-Romagna Region, which we would like to thank for their support during this sensitive phase.”

Stefano Domenicali also gave fans a great surprise, revealing that Lamborghini would be launching a new model online on 7 May

“We continue to nurture the dreams of our fans and customers, and on 7 May, through a virtual launch, we will present a new car in order to complete our model range. We closed the first quarter of 2020 despite the situation with very positive results. From these results we want to secure our swift return to a leadership position, delivering our vehicles once again as soon as our dealers around the world reopen for business.”

Lamborghini factory restarting after covid-19 closures
Lamborghini set to restart from 4 May 2020 with enhanced safety measures in place. Credit: Lamborghini

McLaren

While no official statement has been made yet regarding production at their manufacturing facilities, McLaren Automotive has announced that all Pure McLaren driving experiences will be canceled for the remainder of 2020.

Pagani

No official statement yet

Porsche – 4 May 2020

As of Monday 4 May, Porsche will also resume production at factories in Zuffenhausen and Leipzig under the guidance of the Works Council and Health Management department and will increase production in stages up to full-scale capacity in due course.

“The restart is an important signal – for our employees as well as for our customers. We have monitored and analysed the situation very carefully right from the start and flexibly adapted processes. Now is the right time to look forward with optimism and to resume work – subject to special precautions,” says Albrecht Reimold, Member of the Executive Board for Production and Logistics at Porsche AG.

Porsche production employees will be required to observe a minimum distance of 1.5 meters and work with a face mask in defined areas.

Also of great importance to Porsche is the ongoing support of medical institutions and medical personnel and as such Porsche will continue organizing equipment as part of the “Porsche helps” initiative and donate money to hospitals as well as food to food banks with an increased food budget of five million euros.

“It will take a great deal of effort to get the economic and social system moving again. Everyone must make a contribution to this,” says Oliver Blume, Chairman of the Executive Board of Porsche AG. “It is important to have a positive fundamental attitude. Every crisis also offers opportunities. And we want to make the most of them.” The company initially stopped production in its two factories on 21 March 2020 for a period of two weeks and announced that it would continuously reassess the situation. Due to bottlenecks in global supply chains, the factories have remained closed for a total of six weeks because orderly production was not possible.

Porsche factory restarting after covid-19 closures
Porsche staff will be back on the production line to ensure deliveries continue. Credit: Porsche

Bentley – 11 May 2020 (full production by 18 May 2020)

Bentley Motors will be resuming production activities slightly later than most with a phased return to company headquarters at Crewe, England scheduled from 11 May with a full return to production expected by 18 May.

As part of their COVID-19 employee program called “Come Back Stronger”, a set of 250 hygiene and social distancing measures have been put in place to protect the 4000 staff that work at Bentley and cover seven key areas – prior to leaving home, travel, entry, preparing for work, work stations, breaks, and exiting the site.

The “Come Back Stronger” plan marks the biggest change to daily working life in the company’s 100-year history and will require significant changes like redesigning areas of the manufacturing facility to ensure a 2 meter distance at all times between staff and one-way movement paths and traffic flows and introducing a new shift-pattern to minimize the population density on-site at any one time.

Facemasks and protective equipment supplied by Bentley will also be compulsory in all factory and office areas and where possible, staff that can work from home are encouraged to do so.

Adrian Hallmark, Chairman and CEO, Bentley Motors, said: “Throughout this unprecedented crisis, the health and safety of our colleagues has, and will continue to be, paramount. These extensive new working measures will allow both our people and Bentley to come back stronger than ever and even more focused.

“The time is now right for Bentley to begin a gradual and controlled return to production, while ensuring our sites are the safest place any of us can be. Everybody will be able to play their part to ensure we can continue Bentley’s extraordinary journey into the future of luxury, sustainable mobility.”

Full production is anticipated to resume on 18 May with a later, staggered return to work for office-based colleagues and those able to work from home.

Bentley Motors restart factory production after covid-19 closures

Advertisement
Comments

Luxury Cars

Jaguar to Re-Release Special Classic Edition to Celebrate 60 Years of the E-Type

Published

on

Jaguar will release six restored and matched pairs of the iconic E-Type to celebrate the sports car’s 60th anniversary, known as the “E-Type 60 Collection”.
Jaguar Classic E-Type 60 Collection Edition 9600 HP and 77 RW
The Jaguar E-Type 60 Collection Pair in “Flat Out Grey” and “Drop Everything” Green. Credit: JDHT

It’s almost been 60 years since Jaguar launched the iconic Jaguar E-Type. To celebrate the anniversary that occurs in March 2021, Jaguar is releasing six special matched pairs of two of the oldest and most famous E-Types: The “9600HP and “77 RW”.

These two specific cars played a pivotal role in the original unveiling of the car at its world debut in Geneva, Switzerland, in March 1961.

Jaguar Classic E-Type 60 Collection 1961 Geneva William Lyons 9600HP
Jaguar founder Sir William Lyons presenting the E-type ’9600HP’ to media in Geneva, March 1961. Credit: JDHT

The “9600 HP” E-Type Coupe was an Opalescent Gunmetal Grey colored 3.8-liter Fixed-Head Coupe and one of the first two models to be revealed to an invite-only event at the Parc des Eaux Vives. To make it to the launch, public relations manager Bob Berry drove it “flat out” from Coventry to Switzerland the night before the launch and managed to make it with only minutes to spare in time for demonstration drives.

Jaguar Classic E-Type 60 Collection 1961 Geneva William Lyons
9600HP’ with Jaguar founder Sir William Lyons at the E-type launch, Parc des Eaux Vives, Geneva, 1961. Credit: JDHT

Due to the overwhelming response and demand for test drives, Jaguar Test and Development Engineer Norman Dewis was told to “drop everything” and join Bob in Geneva. It was the British Green 3.8 liter “77 RW” roadster that he drove overnight to Geneva to complete the media road test drives.

Jaguar Classic E-Type 60 Collection 1961 Geneva Norman Dewis
Jaguar test and development engineer Norman Lewis driving the “77 RW”. Credit: JDHT

Once described by Enzo Ferrari as “the most beautiful car ever made,” the sleek, long lines and rounded curves of the E-Type were appealing to a wide range of customers and with an impressive top speed of 150mph saw over 70,000 racing off the factory floor over its 13 year production period.

“The Jaguar E-type is a genuine icon, as sensational today as the moment it was unveiled in 1961,” shared Dan Pink, Director of Jaguar Classic. “It’s testament to the E-type’s advanced design and engineering that it can still be enjoyed and admired as passionately almost 60 years on. The E-type 60 Collection is a lasting tribute for E-type admirers, honouring the car’s legacy and the achievements of the team that created it – many of whom have descendants working for Jaguar Classic today, expertly restoring, maintaining and future-proofing enjoyment for generations to come.”

Like the first two models shown in 1961, the six matched pairs of E-Type 60 Collection will feature a coupe and a roadster in commemorative detailing and two exclusive paint colors: “Flat Out Grey” for the “9600 HP” coupe and “Drop Everything Green” for the 77 RW roadster.

Jaguar Classic E-Type 60 Collection 1961 Geneva Jacques DeClippel
Belgian Jaguar importer Jacques DeClippel with the original Jaguar E-Type Roadster “77 RW”. Credit: JDHT

Every E-type 60 Collection edition built by the team at Jaguar’s Classic Works facility in Warwickshire will be an existing 1960s 3.8-litre E-type fully-restored to exclusive 60th anniversary tribute specification.

Orders are currently being taken and pricing available through Jaguar Classic directly.

Continue Reading

Luxury Cars

Bentley Bentayga Speed SUV Is the Ultimate Performance Edition

Published

on

Bentley reveals the new Bentayga Speed model – the ultimate performance edition of the brands popular SUV.
2021 Bentley Bentayga Speed Driving Front Side View
The new 2021 Bentley Bentayga Speed. Credit: Bentley Motors

Bentley has announced a new “Speed” version of the Bentayga SUV, building on Bentley’s tradition of Speed models dating back to 2007 with the Continental GT Speed.

The most luxurious version of the Bentayga Speed to date, the new Speed version tweaks the 6.0-liter W12 engine to deliver maximum performance and includes many luxury extras as standard, including the Mulliner Driving Specification.

2021 Bentley Bentayga Speed Driving Side View
Available with Bentley’s Black Specification. Credit: Bentley Motors

Hand-built at Crewe, the new Bentayga Speed increases the Bentayga’s performance to new levels, utilizing the 6.0-liter W12 twin-turbocharged engine to achieve a top speed of 190mph (306km/h) and deliver peak power of 635 PS (626 bhp).

Effortless acceleration is always guaranteed thanks to 900 Nm (664 lb.ft) of torque, available as a plateau from 1,500 rpm to 5,000 rpm while the Bentayga Speed’s 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) sprint is delivered in 3.9 seconds.

2021 Bentley Bentayga Speed Rear Side View
2021 Bentley Bentayga Speed Rear Left View
Updated elliptical rear lights. Credit: Bentley Motors

“The new Bentayga has already raised the benchmark for luxury SUVs, against which all others are measured. Ahead of the launch of the new Bentayga Hybrid – the world’s only definitive luxury hybrid – in the coming months, it’s important that we still recognize the customer desire for absolute performance” shared Adrian Hallmark, Bentley Motors Chairman and Chief Executive. “The new Bentayga Speed remains the fastest SUV in the world, but more than that, it’s also the most luxurious version of the new Bentayga – the best of both worlds, the pinnacle.”

The Bentayga’s appearance has also had a few additions in the form of darkly tinted accents, a new front and rear bumper, and oval-shaped quad exhausts. If that’s not enough, there’s the option to upgrade to Bentley’s Black Specification featuring gloss black or carbon-fiber exterior chrome work and black 22” Bentayga Speed wheels.

2021 Bentley Bentayga Speed Wheel
22″ Bentley Bentayga Speed rims. Credit: Bentley Motors
2021 Bentley Bentayga Speed Name Badge
Speed badging on the new Bentayga Speed. Credit: Bentley Motors

The new interior of the Bentley Bentayga Speed also sees Alcantara introduced to the cabin and the Mulliner Driving Spec diamond quilting and “Speed” embroidery across the seats and wall panels.

The new Bentayga Speed now also has a fully digital driver’s information panel similar to the Continental GT and new Flying Spur. The display brings a contemporary look to the cockpit and can be customized to the driver’s requirements.

2021 Bentley Bentayga Speed Interior
Alcantara leather and Mulliner Driving Specification stitching come standard. Credit: Bentley Motors
2021 Bentley Bentayga Speed Steering Wheel

Exact release dates of the 2021 Bentley Bentayga Speed and final pricing are yet to be revealed but are expected to be upwards of USD$240,0,000.

Continue Reading

Luxury Cars

Maserati’s New Trofeo Collection Have Been Given Ferrari Built V8 Engines

Published

on

Maserati has announced both the Ghibli and Quattroporte Trofeo models will be given sporty Trofeo upgrades and powered by Ferrari built V8 engines.
Maserati Trofeo Ghibli Levante & Quattroporte Trio
The new Maserati Trofeo Collection. Credit: Maserati

Beginning in 2018 with the sporty Levante Trofeo SUV, Maserati has now announced the Ghibli and Quattroporte will also receive a super-sports upgrade and be made available in Trofeo versions – the top of Maserati’s range.

Powered by a 580 horsepower 3.8 V8 Twin Turbo engine, both the Ghibli Trofeo and Quattroporte Trofeo have a top speed of 326 kilometers an hour and take the title of Maserati’s faster sedans ever. In contrast, the Levante Trofeo’s maximum speed is 302 km/h.

Maserati Ghibli Trofeo 2021 Side View
2021 Maserati Ghibli Trofeo will launch in red. Credit: Maserati
Maserati Ghibli Trofeo 2021 Side Right View
Maserati Ghibli Trofeo 2021 Interior

The engine, which is already in the Levante Trofeo, is built at the Ferrari plant at Maranello to Maserati’s specifications, and has been modified and developed to deliver equally impressive performances on the rear-engine sedans.

Although entirely new for Ghibli, the V8 engine has already been used in the past on Quattroporte GTS as the 530 hp version and today is available in the 580 hp V8 engine in the new Ghibli, Quattroporte and Levante Trofeo.

2021 Maserati Ferrari V8 engine
580hp V8 engine built in Maranello at the Ferrari plant. Credit: Maserati

The Ghibli Trofeo has also been given two extra air vents on the hood of the car while the lateral air vents are bordered in red with the distinctive Trofeo badge and features a new front grille finished in Black Piano.

2021 Maserati Quattroporte Trofeo Side View
The 2021 Maserati Quattroporte Trofeo sedan will launch in green. Credit: Maserati
2021 Maserati Quattroporte Trofeo Front Right View

The Trofeo details continue into the interior, with a new on-board panel that displays an exclusive interface at switch-on, and headrests that bear the Trofeo badge with the name in three-dimensional embroidery. Both Trofeo models also feature full-grain Pieno Fiore natural leather and carbon fiber inserts with the Italian flag embellished on the central pillar.

Like the Levante Trofeo, the new Ghibli and Quattroporte Trofeo incorporates the Integrated Vehicle Control (IVC) system, with a specific setup that guarantees enhanced driving dynamics and greater active safety.

2021 Maserati Levante Trofeo White Side Profile
2021 Maserati Levante Trofeo launching in white. Credit: Maserati

Both sedans feature a “Corsa” button that sets the car for an even sportier driving style. Also included is Launch Control, a function that first appeared on Levante Trofeo, to unleash all the engine’s power for the ultimate driving experience.

2021 Maserati Levante Trofeo White Rear View

For their official launch, the Quattroporte Trofeo model will be released in green, the Levante Trofeo in white and the Ghibli Trofeo in red to celebrate Maserati’s all-Italian heritage.

The new Ghibli and Quattroporte Trofeo will be built at the Avvocato Giovanni Agnelli Plant (AGAP) at Grugliasco (Turin), and Levante Trofeo at the Mirafiori (Turin) plant.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending